How Can a Colorado Springs Chiropractor Help You Combat Seasonal Allergies?
Springtime in Colorado Springs can be a double-edged sword…
On one hand, we’re ready to wave goodbye to cold snowy days – for the most part, anyway – and welcome warmer days of hiking, biking, and exploring the great outdoors.
But on the other hand… before we can bask in the glory of warm weather activities, we first need to overcome itchy eyes, a runny nose, and a scratchy throat. 😣
Do you struggle with seasonal allergies this time of year?
You’re not alone!
In this blog, I’ll explain how seeing a chiropractor in Colorado Springs can help you combat seasonal allergies, plus more natural treatments, so you can enjoy the beautiful city and all that it offers during this time of year.
What Causes Allergy Symptoms?
Ever wonder why you experience allergy symptoms every Spring?
It has to do with your body’s immune response.
When the body encounters an allergen, which could be pollen, grass, flowers, or something else, the immune system can view it as an invader and send out a response to protect you. 
This can look like…
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- A headache
While you may not be able to control what your body is sensitive to, you can control how your body responds to these things.
That’s where chiropractic comes in.
How Seeing a Colorado Springs Chiropractor Can Help Combat Seasonal Allergies.
Most people know chiropractic adjustments can help relieve headaches and back pain. But chiropractic has many other benefits, including its ability to improve allergy symptoms.
Here’s how it works:
Chiropractic and the Immune System
First, it’s important to understand that the spine and nervous system are intimately connected and affect nearly everything in your body, from your brain to your immune system.
Chiropractic adjustments can therefore help improve immune function and regulate cortisol levels, encouraging your body to respond better to allergies! 
Chiropractic and Histamine
Histamine is a natural compound that’s released as part of your body’s immune response, and it’s also responsible for those dreaded allergy symptoms that keep us from enjoying the great outdoors!
Chiropractic adjustments help regulate the body’s histamine levels, which can be powerful for lessening allergy symptoms.
In fact, this is the aim of conventional allergy medications, otherwise known as antihistamines.
The Problem with Conventional Allergy Medications.
Antihistamines can be a quick and convenient way to manage allergy symptoms. However, it is not the only, nor necessarily the best, option.
The problem with over-the-counter antihistamine medications is that it depletes the immune system, which is a large cause of allergy symptoms in the first place!
If the immune system is weak, allergy symptoms may persist for longer. That’s why it’s so important to support your body during this season (and always!).
Conventional medications could also have harmful side effects, including:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Feeling sick 
And to take it one step further, research suggests that there is even a link between certain antihistamines and serious health issues.
Antihistamines and Dementia: What the Science Says.
Harvard Health Blog published an article last year highlighting the association between Benadryl and dementia.
In one particular study conducted by JAMA Internal Medicine, it was found that regularly taking anticholinergic drugs like Benadryl, which is also classified as an antihistamine, was associated with a 54% higher risk of developing dementia than those who rarely take this medication. 
While there is no evidence suggesting that antihistamines like Benadryl cause dementia, the risk is worth noting.
After all, the point of taking these medications is to keep you feeling good, right? So, if it has the opposite in the long-run, what’s the point?
All this to say…
If you want to keep a healthy mind and body as you age, the safest approach is to steer clear of antihistamine medications whenever possible and opt for a holistic option to manage your allergy symptoms.
Natural Treatments to Combat Allergies in Colorado Springs.
Getting adjustments from a Colorado Springs chiropractor is an effective and holistic way to both strengthen your immune system and help beat the yucky symptoms that come with beautiful Spring sunshine.
In addition to chiropractic, here are a few more of my favorite tips for a successful season:
- Get acupuncture 
- Use an air purifier or filter
- Eat a tablespoon of local honey daily
- Take natural immune-boosting supplements, like Beekeeper’s Naturals Propolis Throat Spray
- Change your sheets once a week
- Wash your face at night
By implementing these simple healthy habits, you can get outdoors and play in the city this Spring without the fear of allergies!
Work with a Colorado Springs Chiropractor Today.
Looking for a Colorado Springs chiropractor who can help you feel your best?
Let’s get you on a wellness plan that allows you to enjoy our outdoor playground, even in the heart of allergy season!
- Platts-Mills, T. A., & Woodfolk, J. A. (2011). Allergens and their role in the allergic immune response. Immunological Reviews, 242(1), 51–68. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-065X.2011.01021.x
- Chiropractic, W. F. of. (n.d.). The effect of spinal adjustment/manipulation on immunity and … – WFC. Spinal Manipulation Immunity Review. Retrieved April 7, 2023, from https://www.wfc.org/website/images/wfc/Latest_News_and_Features/Spinal_Manipulation_Immunity_Review_2020_03_19.pdf
- Service, N. H. (n.d.). Antihistamines. NHS choices. Retrieved April 7, 2023, from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antihistamines/
- Shelly L. Gray, P. D. (2015, March 1). Strong anticholinergics and incident dementia. JAMA Internal Medicine. Retrieved April 25, 2023, from https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2091745.
- Feng, S., Han, M., Fan, Y., Yang, G., Liao, Z., Liao, W., & Li, H. (2015). Acupuncture for the treatment of allergic rhinitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy, 29(1), 57–62. https://doi.org/10.2500/ajra.2015.29.4116